The Bremerton Shawlette Cowl is a perfect for those single skeins of fingering that were too beautiful to pass up at your LYS. This shawlette cowl is great for accessorizing in colder weather and will keep your neck warm under cardigans and jackets.
The Bremerton Shawlette Cowl is initially worked like a triangular shawl and then joined in the round to become a cowl.
I incorporated everything I love about shawls into this design. I love simple mesh lace which is accentuated with a contrasting color. It has a picot bind-off which polishes the laciness of the shawlette. The garter body of the shawlette is a must with many traditional shawls and shows the color of the hand-dyed yarn beautifully. The garter of the body is broken up with a simple lace that travels along the spine of the triangular shawl shape.
I love shawlette cowls because they work up much faster than a typical shawl however is styled very much like a traditional shawl.
Madeline Tosh is a classic. For this project, I used Madeline Tosh Merino Light Yarn. This project took one whole skein along with some scraps I had leftover from another project.
The garter of the body shows off the color of the yarn beautifully. The lightness of the fingering weight yarn allows this design is drape beautifully on your neck.
The Bremerton Shawlette Cowl is available for purchase on Ravelry & Payhip.
- This cowl is initially worked in a triangular shawl shape then joined in the round.
- There is a simple lace design down the center of the triangular shape.
- Simple eyelet lace is completed in the round which ends with a picot bind-off.
- US 7 (4.5 mm) in 24”/60cm or length preferred.
- 4 – Stitch markers
- 1 – Unique stitch marker
- Darning needle
24″ width x 17″ at longest length / 61cm width x 43cm at longest length
42 sts x 42 rows = 4”/10cm with US 7 (4.5 mm) in garter stitch, blocked
MC: 420 yards / 384m
CC: 10 yards / 9m
- MC: Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Twist Light Yarn (Fingering Weight (1); 75% Superwash Merino Wool/25% Nylon; 100g/420 yards/384m). 1 skein. Color used: ’18 June – Ripple
- CC: Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Twist Light Yarn (Fingering Weight (1); 75% Superwash Merino Wool/25% Nylon; 100g/420 yards/384m). 1 skein. Color used:’18 August – Clear Sky